Who doesn’t love tacos?? Basically any variation of Mexican food goes over well in my house, so I thought I’d share my favorite, low carb version using incredibly versatile zucchini. When I make this, my husband and I have the zucchini boats and my kids make burritos with the meat, plain greek yogurt, and shredded cheese in a whole wheat tortilla. The taco meat has extra zucchini flesh mixed in, which you cannot taste at all, so I’m able to sneak extra veggies into them without one single complaint.
Turkey Taco Zucchini Boats
- 4 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- ½ cup salsa (I use medium)
- 1lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4 oz no-salt- added tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup shredded cheese (Mexican blends, monterey jack, or cheddar all work fine)
- Chopped cilantro and/or green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F. Using a small spoon, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves, leaving ¼ inch thick shell on each half. Save ½ cup of the zucchini flesh to add to the taco meat (squeeze out excess water with a paper towel).
- Drizzle zucchini halves with olive oil, and add salt and pepper. Bake on a baking sheet for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While zucchini is baking, brown ground turkey in a large skillet. When no longer pink, add seasonings and mix well. Add the reserved zucchini, tomato sauce, salsa, and water. Reduce heat and let simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Once zucchini is baked and taco meat is done simmering, use a spoon to fill the zucchini boats with taco meat. Sprinkle with shredded cheese, and return to the oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Top with cilantro and green onions if desired, and serve immediately.